Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Wii Step

So far, so good. In the past, I have gone to the gym and forced myself to stay there for a long time, mostly using the elliptical and then lifting weights. I lose interest after two weeks or so, and that’s the end of that. My gym visits usually coincided with joining Weight Watchers (which I have done many times), but the WW journey to is one to be shared another day.


So, my goal has been to do something every day. Yesterday, I spent some quality time on Wii Sports. Like, 15 minutes of quality time. I beat the game in a best of five tennis match. I think that you always compete with imaginary Miis that are just below your ability level, but I still feel good winning in tennis.

…. Tennis flashback……

As a senior in high school, I treated myself to some tennis lessons. I was terrible. At the end of the course, the others in the class were told they should go to competitive or intermediate classes. I was told to keep practicing, that someday I would be ready for advanced beginners.

… end flashback…

I would have played more tennis, but I got worried that I was exercising my right arm too much and ignoring my left arm. I could have played left-handed, but then I would have lost to the Wii Miis, and I think that the resulting disappointment would have soured me to tennis all together. So, I moved on to boxing, where I knocked a Mii out at the end of the third round, and exercised that right arm some more with bowling. I am not an athlete by any means, but I rock at Wii Sports (if I stay away from golf and baseball).

Today, I went to the gym. My baby step was getting there. I spent almost 15 minutes on the elliptical, then went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment